This is a guest post by Samantha from Rae Of Sunshyne
Have you noticed how hard it is to keep motivated when the weather is dark, gloomy and rainy? How hard is it to be happy when you don’t feel organized? The slightest miscommunication, bump in the day leaves us feeling discouraged or even depressed. When I feel like this, I like to take a step back and remember what’s important, how beautiful life can be and how thankful I really am. When feeling down, remember the little things. It’s crazy wonderful how something as small as a good cup of coffee can positively change your entire day.
No Such Thing as a Perfect Day
No one can have a perfect day all of the time. You will always compare your day to the day prior. Even if that day is horrible, there still was probably a time when your day was worse, but with time, the pain is dulled, and you realized it wasn’t all that bad. Most of the “bad” in our lives depend on our mood. If you go into a day with a horrible attitude and mood, it’ll most likely be a horrible day. That’s why you should always try to have a positive attitude or be willing to direct yourself into a better mood.
Here are seven of my favorite things to put me in a better mood. Seven because it’s my favorite number:
1. A soft blanket – I am always freezing, and almost always in a sweatshirt or under a blanket. My favorite blanket at the moment is a Green Bay Packers blanket. (Yes, I am one of those people)
2. A cup of black coffee – I have recently gotten used to not adding anything to my coffee, and I CRAVE just regular black coffee now. It doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy an occasional white chocolate mocha from Starbucks, but for basically a penny a cup, I can enjoy black coffee.
3. Music – I’m very, very much into music. I am not musically inclined, but I know my way around musical genres, artists, songs. I don’t discriminate genre when it comes to music; a good song is a good song. If you need any song suggestions or a playlist created for you, let me know.
4. F.R.I.E.N.D.S – yes, the television show… I have seen in more times than anyone would ever admit. I can recite whole episodes, for the most part, I can tell you specific events from episodes, and I know EXACTLY which episodes are my top five by name. However, when I need a comfort, that show is always there for me. (Yes, pun intended)
5. Woodsy smelling candles – lighting candles can be all sorts of therapeutic. First, the smell. I LOOOVE the smell of the outdoors. Most of my childhood was spent camping in the woods. It’s a nostalgic thing.
6. Old cartoons – the 90s Friday/Saturday night kind of old cartoons. Again, it’s nostalgia. Nothing feels better than what made you smile when you were a kid. My personal favorite was/is Rugrats. Although, now that I’m in my mid-twenties, the cartoons are a lot less innocent than they felt when I was six or seven years old. I’m looking at you, SpongeBob.
7. Lastly, a cuddly dog – currently it’s late night, I’m writing, and I have a little dog in between my legs under my favorite soft blanket that I mentioned earlier. It’s pretty great.
Make a list of simple things that make you happy. Whenever you need a pick me up, go ahead and choose one (or all) of them. Don’t let yourself defeat you. You ARE your own worst enemy.
Author Bio: I’m a 20 something girl living with a physical disability. My blog www.raeofsunnshyne.com is used to promote positivity and advocate for the physically disabled.