Although life isn’t perfect, everyone has the ability to achieve happiness regardless of their current circumstances. Sometimes this can be hard when everything in your life seems to be going wrong, or you are currently not living the life you want. You might feel that you won’t feel happy until you achieve all your goals and get all the material possessions you want. When in reality, achieving all your goals and getting everything you want in life will only give you a feeling of temporary happiness.
So, how can you feel happy and content with your current life?
Express Daily Gratitude
“Happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have”
As humans, we tend to see what is missing in our life and what we lack. In order to rewire your brain to think differently, you have to express daily gratitude. Although some people might already know this, not many will put it into practice. Every day, try your best to think of all that you are grateful for, no matter how big or small.
By making time during the day to write down all that you currently have in your life, you will see how you have an endless list of blessings. You will see with your own eyes that you have far greater blessings than you have troubles. By becoming more grateful, you start to refocus the way you view your life. You will see how all that you currently have is good enough for you to feel content and satisfied with your current life.
You will no longer let the things you want make you forget the things you currently have.
Tips for practicing daily gratitude:
- Have a gratitude journal and try your best to write in it every day, even if it’s just for 5 minutes a day.
- Spend time in nature; this helps you feel more grateful by seeing all the beauty that surrounds you.
- Express gratitude to those around you that inspire you and bring you happiness.
- Be grateful for all that you have accomplished and feel proud of yourself. You have gone through challenging times in your life but you are still here, and you didn’t give up.
Find Meaning In Your Work
Most people are not happy in their current job and they don’t see how they can find meaning in their work. It doesn’t matter if you are a secretary, teacher, customer service representative, nurse, etc. You can find meaning in your work.
- Shift your focus. Instead of thinking how much you hate your job, realize that there are so many other people out there without a job and wish they could have a job like yours. Be grateful that you have a job that helps provide for yourself and your family.
- Be a hard worker and do your best. By working hard and doing the best you can in your current job will not only help you get a raise and promotion, but it will make you feel good, knowing that you are trying your best. This will also help you get a good reference to get the future job you want 😉
- Something that can help is to think of the people you are serving at work. Despite what type of job you have, you have the power of making someone else’s day by being kind. Look for an opportunity every day at work to sincerely compliment someone or do something nice for someone. You will feel happy by making someone else happy.
It’s Okay Not To Feel Happy All The Time
Life has its ups and downs, and it’s completely normal not to feel happy all the time. I don’t know one single person that feels happy 24/7. We are only human; we are not perfect. We all go through some challenging situations in our life. Don’t ever beat yourself up and think that there is something wrong with you just because you feel unhappy at times.
Know that it’s okay to feel ALL emotions throughout your life. As long as you learn not to let the negative emotions consume you and your life.
These are just three suggestions that you can put into practice that will help you feel more happy and content with your current life. If you have any tips feel free to write them down in the comments below because I am sure it can help someone who reads it 🙂
Question for you:
What helps you feel content and happy with your life?